Friday, February 23, 2007

Beulah Land Part Dos

In other hymns I sing I found the same…even ones I really love and enjoy. The other day in church we were singing “All Hail the Power of Jesus Name.” Now this a familiar hymn, and one I really like…by the way I like hymns. I like to read them, and sing them…with more modern instruments that is…particularly guitars and drums and the like…Passion Band has a hymn album that rocks it came out several years ago…anyway in the hymn “All hail the Power of Jesus Name” it says these words… "O that, with yonder sacred throng, we at His feet may fall.” Now lets be honest…WHAT? Remember my degree? If I being a Seminary student, and have a Bible degree have a hard time understanding these songs, how can I worship? Furthermore, how about people in my generation and younger who do not have Bible degrees, or even a church background understand and worship? Those in favor of the “traditional” would say “we need to get back to the hymns because they are rich in theology.” They discount praise choruses and the like in favor more of the traditional hymn. But some of these hymns, as theological as they are, contain language that is foreign to our generation and disconnects us from worshipping and relating to the truth. Here is another line from “All Hail”: “Let highborn seraphs tune the lyre, and as they tune it, fall.” Again I say, WHAT? I am not dissing hymns, like I said I love them, but I am only stating the truth of the matter. I am more connected when I sing a song like one of my favorite praise songs as of recent by Hillsong United that says, “I know Your alive; You came to fix my broken life; I will sing to glorify Your holy Name; Jesus Christ.” When I sing this song I am connected. I relate. I worship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be careful my friend...Seems that many have been excommunicated for much less than blasphemy against Beulah Land. JK sorta

Gotta run - a gigantic German Shepherd just entered my garage. Not JK