Monday, October 08, 2007

Excuses, Excuses

Yesterday I engaged in conversation about the GA/TN game that occurred Saturday. I admit I run my mouth about the SEC and GA Bulldogs...so when they lose I can expect the same...and I can take it. Yesterday, however, someone wanted to tell me that I needed to give the Dawgs some credit because Tennessee's defense showed up and they didn't expect it. He continued to say that because Tennessee's defense has been playing so poorly the Bulldogs were caught by surprise. Well, no kidding they were caught by surprise!!! And they got there butts kicked all over the field...offensively and defensively. But I am not content with just being 2nd best. What kind of credit do you deserve when you lose? Are you content with losing? Are you to sympathize with unpreparedness? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! Unpreparedness is not an excuse. When it comes to football you have one shot at winning...you prepare for anything and expect the unexpected. You always play to win!!

The sad truth is that this is how most people approach church. They are satisfied with 2nd best, they don't prepare, and the saddest part is....they are content with it. As a result churches are losing. People are perishing, lives are being destroyed, and people are searching for hope...yet churches are satisfied with doing little about it or nothing at all.

Excellence, over preparedness, and embracing the truth that people's eternity is at stake should drive everything we do when it comes to doing church...anything less is merely a pathetic excuse and is simply unacceptable.

No comments: