Monday, October 29, 2007

Decisions

I was recently asked by someone I love very much, and who cares deeply for me, this question..."how do you make your decisions?" This is a great question. I appreciate it being asked. When it comes to making decisions you have to be very careful and very cautious...particularly those big decisions...I'm not talking about whether you want a coke or diet coke...I'm talking about those decisions that effect your life in significant ways. Where do I go to school? Where do I move my family? Should I buy this house? Should I buy this car? Should I quit my job and pursue a new adventure? Those kinds of questions. You're stupid if you think your decisions only effect you. Your decisions effect everyone around you directly or indirectly. That is why you must decide carefully and cautiously.

So...how did I respond to this question? Rather simply. Through prayer and reading God's Word. I know that seems like the "Sunday school" answer...but it's the truth. I learned several years ago a principle that I have never forgotten...it is a principle from God's Word..."Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:4). If I will delight (pray and read His Word...enjoy Him) myself in the Lord, and position myself where He can speak into my life...He will give me the "desires" He wants me to have and thus direct my paths. In this case...if I am delighting myself in the Lord...I can follow my desires. I must also add that I do seek godly counsel from wise people God has placed in my life. God has placed them in my life for a reason, and I must allow them to speak into me. That's how I make my decisions...positioning myself in place where God can speak to me through His Word.

Decisions....we all are faced with them...how do you make them??

No comments: