Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Holiness and Freedom

Recently I heard someone I deeply respect teach on the issue of holiness. In the lesson notes it said something to the effect that "holiness is doing certain things, and avoiding certain other things." The lesson tended to focus on how to work towards holiness. How to be successful at being holy, so to speak, through diligent work. The notes also gave a 4 point list on how to do so, none of which included walking in light of who Christ has made you. One can't deny the Apostle Peter's plea to the church to be holy...for God is holy.

However, I would like to question a definition or a pursuit of holiness that emphasizes the works of man as first and foremost. I believe it sets us up for complete failure. Why? Well, we pretty much suck at being holy. That's why Jesus died. Paul said that He who knew no sin (that is the One who was holy...the only One) became sin for us, that we might have the holiness of God.

Our holiness begins and ends with Jesus. I am holy and righteous because of the completed work of Christ on the cross. Nothing else make me as such. My own attempt at holiness will ALWAYS end in utter failure. Plus it's like filthy rags...remember that whole thing. God's grace is sufficient, not only for salvation, but for sanctification...that is, this process or journey of following Christ. I am not saved then left to my own demise. This does not mean, however, that I am licensed to sin, as some might ascertain from a position such as this, but rather guarantees that I can be successful in a pursuit of holiness. It helps me to know that this pursuit is not an empty one but a victorious one. When I fail I know its not over, and I know that I can get right back up and keep going because Christ has already won. I now must walk in His victory which has become mine as a partaker in His grace.

Holiness taught with the absence of the divine, all sufficient grace of God is merely a works based salvation that mocks the freedom that Christ has brought. Walk in holiness friends as you have already been made to do through the finished, COMPLETE work of Jesus. That's freedom!

No comments: