Monday, May 12, 2008

Marathon

I was reading what Chris had to say today about things over at his church this past weekend and he offered some great insight about the journey of church planting. One of his thoughts got me thinking a bit...he said "church planting is a MARATHON not a SPRINT. Now, I've never ran a marathon, but if I understand it correctly when you're running a marathon its more about pace, endurance and getting in the zone (the mental factor). Sprinting I have done...you just freaking run as fast as you can and hope you get done faster than every body else without dying. Being in the pre-launch, pre-launch team phase of church planting it feels more like I'm in a sprint trying to achieve this thing called a "public launch". I have a huge vision, a long list of things to accomplish, and a date in which to make it all reality. But, what I'm learning is that "launch" is not my goal, it's only the beginning of the mission. It's simply the take off point...and even though it is significant and sets the pace...I must be thinking beyond it...setting my pace, being prepared to stick it out, and staying in the zone....running the "MARATHON."

No comments: