Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Call

So often along this journey of starting Reveal Church I hear other church planters and leaders utter the phrase, "don't plant a church unless God calls you to plant a church." I've nodded my head in affirmation and echoed their sentiments over and over again. What I have not realized is that these church planters and leaders are not merely blaring out "preacher talk", nor are they speaking to hear themselves speak. Rather, they are speaking from their hearts out of a reality that at several times along the journey they have found themselves in circumstances and situations where the only thing they can lay claim to is the clear call of God. They have found themselves in moments where the only thing they DO know is that God called them. Further, it's been the call alone that has allowed them to keep their sanity and purge forward (arguably, church planting and sanity may in no way be connected).

As I progress in the journey I am learning, not solely from the utterances of other church planters and leaders, but from the realities of my own journey that if God doesn't call you to plant a church, DO NOT plant a church. Because there are days coming when the only thing you can cling to and the only thing that is clear is the call of God.

No comments: