Monday, March 19, 2007

You're A What.....?

I was at a Men's Conference with my Pastor this weekend. As I was selling his books and CD's a man came to the table. He was inquiring about a message series that Pastor had taught on Theology. He asked me what messages were included. I opened it up and was going through the different messages and when I came to the one on the topic of Calvinism I thought the man was going to blow a gasket. He said, "Calvinism...he far it or he agin'it?" Well, I responded by explaining to him that he did not ascribe to the doctrine of Calvinism, but he gives a fair and balanced look at both sides of the issue in the message. The guy responded back to me in a way that I can only describe as just plain weird. He began rattling off all the things that he was...something about being a "freewill, foursquare, evangelical, protestant, independent....blah...blah...blah....that goes to a Baptist church." He rattled off several things, but I did not really pay that much attention to most of it....it really made me want to vomit....I detest such labeling...I spew that out of my mouth!!! I did not respond to the man...I just let him go on his way...in a kind way. I am sure that lost and unchurched people are so attracted to this type of labeling. I am sure they are just dying to become a freewill, foursquare....whatever...Why do we have such labels? Did Jesus label himself in such a manner? Here is all I know....I WAS a sinner...then I met Jesus. He changed me. Now I follow Him. I am a NEW CREATION....thanks be to Jesus!

No comments: