Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dr. Jerry Falwell...We Will Miss You

I could hardly believe the news this afternoon that Dr. Jerry Falwell had gone to be with Jesus. A man with unprecedented passion, vision, leadership...a pastor and a pastor's pastor. I will never forget the night that I had the opportunity to drive to the airport with Dr. Falwell. He simply asked me, "Mark, what can I do for you?" I of course did what any young preacher would do in that moment, I asked him as many questions as possible. I wanted to somehow take brief moment and drink from the wellspring of knowledge and wisdom that was Dr. Falwell. He freely offered me wisdom and advice, and then he did something I never expected. When we arrived at the airport for him to board his private jet Dr. Falwell stayed behind while his entourage went to the plane. He preceded to give me advice and then grabbed the hands of me and my friend Drew, who was with me, and right then and there he prayed for us. That moment impacted my life greatly. Who was I in the presence of the this great leader? But yet, I was somebody, and he made me feel that way. Dr. Falwell is the personification of a dreamer who chased his dreams with relentless passion....all the way down to his last moment. The world will miss you Dr. Falwell.

No comments: