Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Love Preaching

Last night I had the privilege of preaching/speaking/teaching to the middle school students @FBCW. A great majority of them are getting ready to enter their freshmen year in high school. There are some awesome students in that group. I got to hang with them at student camp a couple of weeks ago. My assignment was to speak on the sharing your faith. I was not to thrilled about the title they assigned me....so I chunked it. Instead of focusing on the "how to", I spoke on the "why to". It seems like everybody and their brother has come up with the "how to" and most of them are ridiculous...whatever helps you I guess.

My message was simple. I spoke on significance. I answered the questions that every person who exists on this planet asks. How did I get here? Why am I here? Does anyone care? Do I have a purpose? I try not to preach with "points" but rather just have a main "theme" or one "point" I guess, and then talk around that. But if I were to have points they would be these:

1. God Made Us
2. God Made Us For Himself
3. God Made Us For A Purpose

I explained all of these things and basically tried to get across the point that God's love is for everyone, and He desires to have a relationship with every single person. The problem is that every life is broken and destroyed by this ugly thing called sin. But Christ came to save the world not condemn it, and there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. God has this incredible plan for our lives and wants to use us to bring the message of this great hope to the brokenhearted. I challenge the students to take the message of hope that they have received to those on their campus.

If one has truly experienced life transformation...and found the hope....the "how to" takes care of itself. I love preaching God's Word. It is such an awesome task...I can't believe God has called me to do it.

No comments: