Friday, February 29, 2008

Jumping

One time a group of friends of mine coerced me into going deep into the woods in the middle of the night to walk along the railroad tracks to a train bridge that hovered about 60+ feet over Lake Allatoona. As the train came rumbling down the tracks we each (probably about 8 of us) stood on the ledge of the bridge. One of my friends said not to jump until his cue. But I was closest to the rumbling train which inched closer and closer as the seconds passed. As the "tornadic" sound of the roaring train began drawing nigh the train engineer began repetitively sounding the intensely loud horn. Hovered above Lake Allatoona on a hot summer night with train lights brightly glaring into my eyes I had a choice to make. Was I going to concede with the voice of the one telling me to wait for his cue before jumping, the one farthest away from the humming train? Was I going to take my chance staying on the ledge where the train could probably cause me severe injury? Or, was I going to leap off of the ledge at a time I knew was most critical? As the bridge began to shake and vibrate with the force of the train...I made a conscience decision to jump without the cue. I plunged feet first into the uncertainty of the dark water of the lake below. It was undoubtedly one of the most intense rushes of energy I've ever experienced.

This story reminds me of following God in faith....even with all kinds of voices trying to control you, even with intense pressure coming at you full force, even though what is before you is filled with uncertainty....if it's your destiny, your God-given call, you just have to JUMP.

No comments: